- 2 lb Stock Fish - cleaned & skinned
- 1 lb potatoes - peeled & cubed
- 2 stalks celery - sliced
- 1 onion - sliced
- handful of sliced green olives & capers
- 2 jars Papa Vince tomato sauce
- Papa Vince Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Papa Vince Sea Salt, black pepper & red pepper flakes
How to make
- Teresa made this dish with 2 layers, you could also use a larger one layer dish, you just need to bare this in mind when adding the ingredients.
- Pour a generous amount of Papa Vince EVOO into a large pot.
- Use half the ingredients only on the first layer.
- Add celery, olives, capers and onions on the bottom of the pan and cover with a small amount of tomato sauce.
- Add a layer of fish to the pot and more tomato sauce.
- Season with Papa Vince Sea Salt, black pepper & just a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Add more Papa Vince EVOO.
- Make your second layer and finish with tomato sauce and EVOO.
- Put the lid on the pot and put it on the stove on a medium flame for 30-40 minutes.
- Keep checking & stirring the dish & add more EVOO if necessary. Teresa likes to use a lot of Extra Virgin Olive Oil because it adds more flavor to the food & because her husband likes it that way!
- You know the dish is ready when the potatoes are soft and tender.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Serves: 6-8 people
Pesce Stocco is an ancient Sicilian recipe that dates back to Norman times when Northern Europeans conquered Sicily and influenced their culture, landscape and cuisine. Pesce Stocco uses stockfish which is fish typical from Scandinavia.
Vitina met Teresa in Messina who showed her how to make a lighter & healthier version of this popular dish. She calls it a 'one pot fish dish!' You can also use a different type of fish just be sure that it's a meaty fish or you'll find that the fish cooks quicker than the potatoes. You know this dish is ready when the potatoes are soft.