- 1 lb green lentils (rinsed)
- 2 bell peppers (red, orange or yellow)
- 1 onion
- Papa Vince Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Papa Vince Sea Salt
- Black pepper
How to make
- Chop onion & bell peppers.
- Put the vegetables with approximately ½ cup of Papa Vince EVOO into a blender to liquidize, this makes the ingredients into a ‘soffritto’.
- Put a large pot on the stove at medium heat, add the soffritto and stir occasionally for the next 15 minutes.
- At the same time, put the lentils in a pot, cover with water and heat on high until they boil.
- Add some extra EVOO, some Papa Vince Sea Salt, & pepper to the soffritto.
- Once the lentils have boiled, drain the water & add them to the big pot. Cover all the ingredients with more water. Leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Taste the lentils after 20 minutes. If they’re not soft enough, leave them to cook a little longer.
- Serve with some extra Papa Vince EVOO on top to enhance the flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Serves: 6-8 people
Lentils are easy to prepare, versatile & nutritious with each serving containing protein, fiber and minerals. This is a healthy, hearty, delicious dish & is suitable for anyone following a vegetarian or vegan diet.
Lentils are a staple food in most Sicilian Kitchens. This is a recipe my mom used to make once a week when I was a child & we still eat it together now. She used to blend all the vegetables together so that we didn't know we were eating them, her trick worked on us!
Watch us make the recipe in the video above: