Mediterranean Diet / Vegetarian Diet
This is a traditional Sicilian dish that takes its flavors from the province of Trapani. We met Samuele who works in a restaurant in Messina and he invited us into his home and showed us how to cook it.
It's a quick and easy vegetarian pasta dish that you can prepare in less than 30 minutes. All you need to do is cook the pasta and to make the pesto sauce, you just need to put all the other ingredients into the blender. You can also use a pestle and mortar and the dish will be even more flavorful but it will take longer.
Prep Time: 10 mins / Cook Time: 30 mins / Serves: 5-6 people
- 1 lb Papa Vince Busiate Pasta
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 4 or 5 large sun dried tomatoes
- 3/4 cup of blanched almonds
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Hard cheese such as Pecorino (finely grated)
- Papa Vince Sea Salt, black pepper
- Papa Vince Extra Virgin Olive Oil
How to make
(1) Put the water on to boil to make the pasta.
(2) Create Trapanese Pesto Sauce - Make the pesto sauce by putting all the other ingredients in the blender and blend until it becomes a paste.
(3) Cook Pasta - When the water boils, add the pasta, some sea salt and stir and cook for 9 minutes until al dente.
TIP: Learn how to Cook Pasta like an Italian!
(4) Gently warm the Trapanese Pesto Sauce - When the pasta is almost ready, put the pesto sauce in a frying pan with some Papa Vince Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and heat gently on a low heat.
(5) Mix Pasta with all the extra flavor - Add the cooked pasta and stir to coat it entirely with the pesto sauce.
(6) Serve like a Sicilian - Serve with fresh basil and a little extra grated cheese. Don't forget to drizzle Papa Vince Extra Virgin Olive Oil before enjoying!
5 Facts about Pasta alla Trapanese
- ORIGIN - Pasta alla Trapanese originates from the western region of Sicily, specifically the city of Trapani. The dish has been a staple in Trapanese cuisine for centuries and has gained popularity in other parts of Italy and the world in recent years.
- CLASSIC ITALIAN INGREDIENTS - The sauce for Pasta alla Trapanese is made from a combination of fresh cherry tomatoes, garlic, almonds, and basil, which are blended together to create a flavorful pesto-like sauce.
- PASTA TYPES - Although the dish is traditionally made with spaghetti, it can also be prepared with other types of pasta, such as busiate, penne or fusilli, depending on personal preference. We recommend Ancient Grain Pastas: Durum or Tumminia, to keep the most Sicilian as possible!
- IT'S A VEGETARIAN OPTION- Pasta alla Trapanese is a vegetarian dish since it only contains Pecorino Cheese, making it an excellent option for those following a vegetarian diet.
- TRY SERVING IT COLD - While Pasta alla Trapanese is typically served hot, it can also be served cold, making it a great option for picnics, potlucks, and other outdoor events. In fact, in its traditional preparation, it is served cold, with the pasta being mixed with the sauce just before serving.
Watch us making the recipe in the video, you'll see for yourself how easy it is!