- 100g / 3.5 oz flour
- 100g / 3.5 oz butter
- 1 liter / 33 fl oz milk
- 100g / 3.5 oz Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Sea Salt (to taste)
How to make
- Put a saucepan on the stove at medium heat and gently melt the butter (don’t let it get too hot or turn golden).
- When it is completely melted, add the milk slowly and add the flour a little at a time, mixing all the ingredients evenly.
- Keep stirring or whisking constantly to make sure no lumps form.
- When all the flour has dissolved, add the cheese slowly (if your recipe calls for it - this is optional).
- Keep stirring until the sauce reaches your desired consistency.
- Prep Time:10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
This is a versatile creamy white sauce that is used in a variety of different Italian dishes or can be used as a base for other sauces. One of our Sicilian chefs, Genni showed us how to make it because she used it in the Eggplant Doublets dish she prepared for us. Genni added Parmesan Cheese, you can use other flavors or make it plain, it all depends how you're planning to use it.