Keto Diet / Vegetarian & Vegan Options
Hey there, food adventurers! If you're a fan of tacos and love trying new things, you're in for a treat. We're about to take your taco experience to a new level with something healthier: Spicy Chicken Lettuce Tacos!
You know how tacos are usually wrapped in those soft tortillas, right? Well, our dear friend and customer, Sydnee, shook things up. She chose crunchy hydroponic romaine lettuce leaves as taco shells.
Picture this... Each bite of these lettuce wraps brings together the zing of the marinated chicken, the freshness of the lettuce, and a creamy layer of hummus at the bottom. And remember the colorful team of tomatoes, bell peppers, and red onion on the top. It's a party of tastes and textures that will make your taste buds dance!
So, get ready to try something different that combines all these incredible flavors and feels way healthier. These Spicy Chicken Taco Wraps are not just a meal - they're a taste of adventure you won't want to miss!
Spicy Chicken Lettuce Tacos Recipe
Try these Spicy Chicken Lettuce Tacos today and experience the ultimate taste adventure!
Serves: approx. 5 tacos - Prep Tume: 35 minutes - Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/4 cup Papa Vince Chili Pepper Extra Virgin Olive Oil (adjust for preferred spiciness)
- 2 tbsp Papa Vince Classic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 tbsp Hummus - check our homemade recipes!
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 medium Bell Pepper of each: Red, Yellow, and Green
- 1 small Red Onion
- 1 large Tomato
- 8-10 large leaves of Hydroponic Romaine Lettuce (approx. 2 leaves per taco) from LocAL Lettuce Heads Farm
- Arugula Hydroponic Leaves - to taste, from LocAL Lettuce Heads Farm
(1) Marinate the Chicken
(2) Cook the Marinated Chicken
- Place a non-stick skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Take the marinated chicken breasts out of the marinade, allowing any excess marinade to drip off.
- Once the pan is hot, carefully place the chicken breasts in the pan. Let them cook without moving for about 5-6 minutes.
- Gently flip the chicken breasts and let the other side cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- After resting, slice the chicken breasts into thin or bite-sized strips.
(3) Get Your Lettuce Ready
Take a fresh romaine leaf and shake it to remove excess water. This leaf's going to be your crunchy, carb-free taco shell.
(4) The Creamy Base
Spread a spoonful of Hummus onto the lower part of the lettuce leaf. Imagine this as the cozy cushion that holds all the other ingredients.
(5) Spicy Chicken Goodness
Place a piece of marinated chicken on top of the hummus. You're adding a spicy kick that will awaken your taste buds.
(6) A Burst of Color
Now it's time to make your taco vibrant and visually appealing. Carefully arrange the tomato cubes, bell pepper strips, and red onion slices on the chicken. Let your creativity shine - you can make it neat or go for a colorful explosion!
(7) Wrap It Up
Once your toppings are in place, gently fold the sides of the romaine lettuce leaf over the filling. It's like giving your taco a cozy hug to keep all those flavors snug. Remember to add the arugula leaves!
(8) Ready to Devour
Hold your taco carefully and take a bite. You'll first notice the crunch of the lettuce, followed by the creamy hummus, the zesty chicken, and the medley of fresh veggies. Each bite is a party of flavors and textures.
About the Marinade
Chili Pepper Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Black Pepper & Oregano
Marinating chicken might sound like a fancy cooking trick. Still, it's a simple way to make your food taste amazing! When you marinate chicken, you give it a unique flavor bath that makes it juicier and more delicious. So let's make the perfect marinade for our Spicy Chicken Lettuce Tacos!
What You'll Need
- Chili Pepper Extra Virgin Olive Oil: This is where the spicy magic happens. Chili Pepper EVOO adds a kick of heat, making your taste buds tingle.
- Salt and Black Pepper: These are like the best friends of any dish. They add just the right amount of seasoning to make the flavors pop.
- Oregano: This herb brings a warm, earthy taste that pairs perfectly with the spicy Chili EVOO.
How to Do It
- Chili Pepper EVOO - Set apart about 1/4 cup of Chili Pepper EVOO. If you want it spicier, add more; you can use a bit less if you're not a fan of too much heat.
- Season it - sprinkle a pinch of salt, a dash of pepper, and a teaspoon of dried or fresh oregano. Give it a good mix to blend all those flavors.
- Chicken Bath Time! - Place your chicken pieces in a resealable plastic bag or a bowl. Pour the marinade over the chicken, ensuring each piece has a nice coating. Seal the bag or cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Chill Out - Pop the bag or bowl into the fridge. Let the chicken hang out in the marinade for at least 30 minutes. Leave it for a few hours if you've got more time.
- Don't marinate too long - chicken can get too flavorful and mushy.
- If you're in a hurry, you can use a fork to poke some holes in the chicken. This helps the marinade soak in faster.
- Always marinate in the fridge because we want our chicken to be safe and delicious.
Fresh Taco Shell Alternative
Tacos usually come wrapped in tortillas. But here's the cool part: romaine lettuce leaves are almost carb-free! This means you can enjoy all the fillings without worrying about extra carbs.
Crispy Crunch and Refreshments
Picture biting into a taco and hearing that satisfying crunch. Romain lettuce gives you that crunch, but it's even fresher and more hydrating. It's like taking a bite of the garden! The leaves are packed with water, making them refreshing and crisp. You get a delicious contrast between the juicy fillings and the crunch of the lettuce.
A Word of Advice
When handling Romaine lettuce leaves, be gentle so they won't tear. They're delicate and your ticket to a crunchy and refreshing taco experience.
Creamy and Flavorful Foundation
Here is the secret weapon for adding a burst of creaminess and subtle flavor to your Spicy Chicken Lettuce Tacos: Hummus! You might be used to hummus as a dip, but here, it plays a unique and essential role as the base layer in our tacos.
Creamy Comfort & Flavor Hug
Imagine taking a bite of your taco and feeling a velvety, creamy layer at the bottom. That's the hummus doing its magic! It adds a luxurious texture that perfectly contrasts with the lettuce's crunchiness and the zing of toppings. It's like a creamy comfort blanket that wraps around all the other flavors.
Papa Vince Hummus Recipes to Try
A Flavorful Touch
A Rainbow of Flavors on Top
Imagine a taco without toppings - like a canvas waiting for a masterpiece! This Spicy Chicken Lettuce Taco comes alive with colors and textures from the toppings. We've handpicked the trio of tomato, bell peppers, and red onion to make your tacos delicious and a feast for the eyes!
The Flavorful Trio
- Tomato: The juicy ted tomato adds a burst of freshness and a touch of sweetness. It's like a pop of summer in every bite.
- Bell Peppers: These come in different colors, each with a unique flavor. The green one adds a mild crunch, the red is sweet, and the yellow is tangy. They all work together to create a symphony of tastes.
- Red Onion: The red one is like the cool cousin, bringing a zesty kick. It's a bit spicy and adds a bold contrast to the other flavors.
With a peppery, slightly spicy flavor profile, arugula introduces a tantalizing kick to your taco, elevating its taste to new heights. Its fresh and crisp texture provides a delightful crunch, balancing the richness of other ingredients in the taco. Additionally, the vibrant green hue of arugula adds an eye-catching, flavorful element to the dish, making it visually enticing.
Beyond its flavor and appearance, arugula boasts impressive nutritional credentials, packing in vitamins and minerals like vitamin K, vitamin C, and folate, which can infuse your taco with an extra dose of healthiness.
Tips for a Top-Notch Taco
- Remember, the size of your topping matters - smaller pieces are easier to bite into.
- Mix the colors to create an attractive contrast - the red, green, and yellow mix looks stunning.
- Don't be shy - pile those toppings on! The more, the merrier.
Let Your Creativity Shine
Tofu - Swap out chicken for marinated and pan-fried tofu cubes. Tofu absorbs flavors wonderfully and adds a delicious plant-based twist.
Seafood - Consider using shrimp or even grilled fish as your protein. Their delicate flavors pair well with the other ingredients, creating a light, fresh option.
Add Avocado - for an extra layer of richness.
Add Corn - fresh corn kernels or grilled Corn on the cob, shaved off, can bring a natural sweetness and crunch.
Add Mushrooms - Sautéed or portobello mushrooms offer an earthy, meaty texture that complements the other flavors.
Flavors to Suit You!
- Mellow it Down - If you prefer a milder heat, consider using mild olive oil instead of chili pepper EVOO in your marinade.
- Experiment with Different Herbs for the Marinade - like rosemary, thyme, or basil, to create a distinct flavor profile.
- Explore using other Lettuce Leaves - like butter, iceberg, or Swiss chard- for unique and delicious wraps.
If Sydnee's recipe left your taste buds dancing, prepare for more culinary adventures that will have your senses singing! Check out some of her other unique creations that are bound to tantalize your palate:
- Black Bean Salad: Embark on a journey of flavors with Sydnee's Black Bean Salad. It's a medley of goodness that combines the earthiness of black beans with a vibrant array of fresh ingredients. Each bite is like a party for your taste buds, a symphony of textures and flavors that will leave you craving more. Go to the recipe!
- Feta Omelet with Fresh Bruschetta: A delightful breakfast or brunch dish that combines the creamy richness of a traditional omelet with the freshness of bruschetta. It features fluffy eggs infused with crumbled feta cheese, topped with a mixture of diced fresh tomatoes, LLH fresh basil, and red sorrels, all drizzled with Papa Vince's extra virgin olive oil. Go to the Recipe!