To get the best results...
- Be sure to use fresh ingredients.
- Preheating your oven is essential, as it helps to create a crispy outer layer while keeping the center soft and moist.
- Letting the cake cool before serving will give you optimal results - giving time to prepare complementary ice cream or whipped cream topping.
Serves: 10 servings - Prep Time: 15 min - Cook Time: 40 min
- 4 Eggs
- ¾ cup White Sugar
- ⅔ cup Papa Vince Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp fresh Orange Zest
- 1 ½ cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Papa Vince Trapani Sea Salt
- 1 tsp of Spice Mix
- Star Anise
- Fennel Seeds
- Whole Cloves
- Cinnamon Sticks
Place all the spices in a spice or coffee grinder and grind until smooth.
HOW TO MAKE
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and lightly oil and flour a loaf pan.
(2) Beat eggs in a bowl until lightened in color.
(3) Add sugar, extra virgin olive oil, orange zest, and the five-spice powder. Beat until smooth.
(4) Fold flour, baking powder, and salt into the egg mixture until the batter is just mixed.
(5) Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
TIP: Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, than remove cake from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
What to do with leftovers?
To make it even more tasty, take any leftovers and turn them into cubes to layer on top of whipped cream and oranges, or toast them lightly before spreading honey over.
- Like most fruits, oranges mainly comprise carbs and water, contain very little protein and fat, and are relatively low in calories.
- Oranges are a good source of fiber. Getting enough fiber on a daily basis is essential for overall health and helps keep your digestive system healthy by supporting regularity and fueling your beneficial gut bacteria.
- Vitamin C in oranges helps your body in lots of ways. The body need this water-soluble nutrient to stay healthy, as it is vital for a variety of functions such as immune support, collagen production and absorption of iron.
- Every type of orange has more than 100% of your recommended daily amount of Vitamin C. That's more than any other citrus fruits. All you have to do to get this key vitamin is peel and eat.
- How to store: if you plan on consuming your oranges within couple of days, leave them out at room temperature away from direct sunlight. Otherwise, store them in a crisper drawer of your refrigerator to ensure they stay fresh and juicy for longer!
About this Recipe...
Orange Olive Oil Cake is definitely worth the effort! Not only is it easy to make and highly flavorful, but it's also incredibly nutritious due to its high levels of healthy fats and antioxidants found in fresh Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Serve with some fresh fruit or berries for added sweetness and texture - definitely something your taste buds don't want to miss out on!
Oranges: Nutrients, Benefits, Juice, and More. Medically reviewed by Katherine Marengo LDN, R.D., Nutrition — Written by Jillian Kubala, MS, RD and Atli Arnarson BSc, PhD — Updated on November 16, 2021.
Date Accessed: 02/21/2023.
Link: click here