√ Mediterranean Diet
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar + 5 tbsp sugar
- 4 apples
- 1 cup Papa Vince Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tbsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon
How to make the Apple Cake Filling
Peel the apples. Nonna likes to leave some of the peel on the apple for a little extra color. Slice the apples and mix with cinnamon and 5 tbsp sugar. Set apart, this will be used later as the filling.
How to make the Apple Cake Batter
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° F.
- Place the eggs in a bowl and start mixing.
- Add the sugar and mix until completely dissolved and the batter becomes fluffy and light yellow.
- Add in the orange juice and then the Papa Vince EVOO.
- Add the baking powder and a pinch of salt into the flour and add slowly to the mixer, a spoon at a time. Mix until it resembles a smooth batter.
Grease a pan with butter and then dust with flour. I recommend using a rectangular cake pan about 2 1/2 inches deep.
Add 1/2 of the batter to the pan. Add the prepared apple slices neatly on top of the batter. Pour remaining batter over Apple Cake Filling.
Bake at 350° F for 45-50 min. Do not open the oven during the first 25 min. After 45 minutes test the cake with a knife, if it comes out clean the cake is ready. If not put it back in the oven and bake for a further 5 - 10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cooking Time: 45 - 50 mins
- Serves: 16 servings